Daughter, Wife, Mother... this is what I do

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Night Dinner...

First, I'm really thankful for community. Why? Because my ever-growing belly and I were running out of options in my pre-preggo clothes. Shirts are two short or have that funny gap that irritates the heck out of me, pants are quickly becoming very uncomfortable with a slight chance of wardrobe malfunction. (i.e. Belly Band has wriggled it's way up my belly, or my pants have slid down, with my zipper/button flapping open in the wind. Not pretty.) Which may or may not have happened in a very public place the other day. But, I don't think anyone saw. I hope. Getting dressed has been a frustrating thing lately. Now, thanks to my sweet, very un-pregnant (and super tiny! there's hope for my post-preggo body!) friend Morgan, I have a storage bin FULL of cute things to put on. Honestly... I don't care all THAT much how cute things are at this point. I just need things that fit and are comfortable. I also borrowed some pregnancy leggings from a friend... and oh my goodness these things are so comfortable! There's no irritating elastic rolling down my belly and/or cutting off the circulation in my hips. I'm so excited. :) So, thank you friends for being willing to pass around maternity clothes!

Second, now that we're talking about how large my waistline is these days, I thought I'd share a David family recipe. Ok, it didn't come from me. But it has made the regular rotation when I start to meal plan. I found it at wholefoods.com, so you know it's healthy :) I love fish, but I usually just love the fish that can put a big dent in my grocery bill for the week. This recipe calls for Tilapia, which is usually fairly cheap, especially when you're just feeding two. Anywho, it's crumbly, and savory and all things good. And oh! The green beans are my favorite part! I LOVE fresh green beans, but usually I just steam them and add some salt and pepper. I love the nutty flavor the almonds and sauteed onions give the green beans. It's on the menu for tonight. Happy cooking!

Ingredients

2 thick slices crusty whole wheat hearth bread, torn into pieces
4 cloves garlic, divided
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh or frozen green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup toasted sliced almonds
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1½ teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
3 (4-ounce) tilapia fillets
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Method

Preheat oven to 450°F. Put bread in a food processor and pulse until it forms coarse crumbs. You should have about 1 cup crumbs. Spread crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet and toast them while the oven preheats, until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Thinly slice 2 garlic cloves and add to the skillet with the onion. Cook 7 to 8 minutes or until beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in green beans and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until green beans are just tender, stirring once halfway through cooking. Stir in almonds and black pepper. Cover and keep warm.

While the beans cook, crush remaining 2 garlic cloves with a garlic press or grate with a fine grater into a small bowl. Add toasted bread crumbs, parsley and lemon zest and stir until blended. Cut tilapia fillets into 8 serving pieces. Place tilapia on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and drizzle with lemon juice. Press bread crumb mixture on top of fillets and bake 8 to 9 minutes or until flesh is opaque. Serve with green beans.


Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment