Daughter, Wife, Mother... this is what I do

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Back to School (2010)

New crayons. New, clean journals and notebooks. New backpacks. New friends. New year.

Honestly, I've put this off for a little while. (Oops!) So, really, it doesn't feel like "back to school" anymore. We're actually in the swing of things. However, here are a few highlights from my very second First Day as a teacher.

1. Feeling almost fully prepared. I can't even describe the bliss of this feeling. Yes, I worked hard to get there. But it wasn't nearly as stressful.

2. I didn't have nearly as many nightmares this time around. (Although, I did have a few. The kind where kids don't listen and you feel like you have ZERO control. Idolize control much?)

3. The actual first day felt purposeful and controlled. I knew what I was doing, why I was doing it. It helped set up my year and set the tone for my kids. I knew what I expected of them and let them know what they could expect from me. (Last year... I had no idea about either of those things. It makes such a big difference!)

4. I quite possibly could have the SWEETEST, MOST CREATIVE and FUN group of third graders in the whole wide world. They are a breath of fresh air and are making this year wonderful. Yes, there have been a few trying moments over the past 2 weeks, but I'm VERY VERY thankful for them. Probably a combo of it being my 2nd year and their personalities, but I definitely come home skipping. My sweet husband has no idea what to do with me, coming home from work with energy (well... some days...)

Take heart, first year teachers. I know some days you aren't the teacher you want to be. I know that you question your choice of career, but if there's any passion in you for what you're doing... keep doing it. I promise it gets better.

Here's to a fabulous new year with lots of new things, surprises and new joys :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lauren, this blog made me feel SO good! I'm doing my first year as a Kindergarten at a private school with a lot of refugee students. It's been TRYING! And you're right-sometimes i feel like i'm not the teacher i want to be, but it' already getting better and now I have hope that the second year will be a lot better! I miss you girl, can't wait to see you at rachel's wedding!

    love,

    Zahra

    ReplyDelete